Vital Documents

Visas, Work Permits and ID Cards


       International Affairs staff is appointed at every PSU faculty to help you with course information, fees, application forms, visa issues, work permits and ID card procedures, orientation, and health and accident insurance. They are available at all times to offer you assistance and support.


Visas for Employees

       Types of visas available are numerous, plus there may be different rules for these visas depending on your country of origin and your purpose of visit. Detailed information is available at . Foreigners working in Thailand will need to keep their visas current. You should obtain your initial working visa (non-immigration “B”) at the Thai Embassy of your home country. In order for you to apply for this visa, PSU will need to submit a letter to the embassy explaining why you need to stay in Thailand. If you arrive in Thailand on a 30-day tourist visa, and you need to stay longer, you will have to get a 90-day non-immigration “B” visa from the Bangkok Immigration Office, or from outside Thailand. Thereafter, the visa can be extended annually at Hat Yai Immigration Office. Please note that there is an overstay fine of 500 Baht a day.

Check our comprehensive guide to Visa Procedures for PSU Staff

Work Permits

       It is illegal to work in Thailand unless you hold a valid work permit. Having quite a few foreign employees, most of the PSU’s faculties are familiar with application processes. After obtaining the visa, one can apply for a work permit at the Labor Department in Songkhla town. Applications for work permits are processed at the Bangkok office, and it takes three working days from the date of submission ato the office in Songkhla. Your faculty may reimburse your application fees, but this is usually decided on a case-by-case basis.

Check our comprehensive guide to Work Permits for PSU Staff


 ID Cards

       Employees should obtain ID cards from their respective faculties (or for those working in the President’s Office, from the Personnel Division).
Students are issued a temporary ID card at the Registration Division located at the Learning Resources Center (LRC) Building (a one-inch photograph is required). Students should apply for a permanent ID card at the Siam Commercial Bank, PSU Branch, at their earliest convenience (another one-inch photograph is required). The ID card will be issued in approximately one month and will also serve as an ATM card. Students and employees will need their ID cards to use the library and some other recreational facilities.


Thai Driving License for Foreigners

       PSU International staff and students in Hat Yai can obtain a Thai Driving License from Songkhla Land Transportation Office, which is on the road to Yo Island (Ko Yo), aprox. 20 km from Hat Yai. There are two cases as follows:


1. The first case is for foreigners who already got their own country driving license. If it is in English, they can submit a copy of it with the following documents to the Songkhla Land Transportation Office:
    - a copy of passport and visa
    - a copy of work permit (for employees)
    - a certified residency letter from the Immigration Office
    - a medical certificate
However, if their own country driving license is not in English, they must get a certified translation of it and submit it with other aforementioned documents.

2. The second case is for those who do not have their own country driving license. In this case, they must submit the aforementioned documents and take the written examination (in English or Chinese) and the driving test that is the same for all applicants.
For further information, please contact the Songkhla Land Transportation Office in person or by phone


Necessary Documents for Immigration Affairs


Check our up-to-date list of documents for all PSU Immigration Affairs here



Hat Yai Immigration officers will come to PSU Hat Yai Campus to assist foreigners with necessary
immigration affairs on the last Wednesday of each month at the President’s Office Building.



Contact: International Affairs Office, Prince of Songkla University
15 Karnjanavanich Rd., Hat Yai, Songkhla 90110
Tel: 66 74 282000 (Operator), 66 74 446824 (International Office). Fax: 66 74 446825
Email: Facebook: @psuinteraffairs
Copyright © 2020 Prince of Songkla University. All rights reserved